Friday, April 3, 2009

Well-watered Ground

We made it to Accra safely last night and spent the evening at the Guest House there with the Hueys (missionaries). We had a fun time and it was so great to see them again. Jodi and I got up early today to head for Nalerigu. It was such a beautiful sight in Africa. We arrived at the airport and walked onto the plane with the new sunrise. Glorious! Once we landed in Tamale, we had a 2-hour drive to Nalerigu, our final destination.

Issa Aku drove us and his name means Isaac. He told me that the name "Nalerigu" comes from the root word "king" and "cares for." So it is a place where our King takes care of people. Amen. How true. On the ride to Nalerigu, I was in amazement of all the green grass along the roads and the blossoming trees. They just had rain, so I kept thinking about this place being spiritually ripened and as if they are coming well-watered by our Lord. We have the honor of seeing the work of those before us and seeing the fruits of their labor here with the people. We met another resident traveling to Saboba who is going to be blessed there, I'm sure.

Then, I was amazed as we drove from Tamale to Nalerigu to see more paved road than there was 2 years ago. Praise God! We still had a bumpy dirt ride for a part of it, but what a great sign of improvement as God continues to provide a paved road. I kept thinking about preparing the way for Jesus and how we need to lay out a smooth road ahead for His return. I loved the flamboyant trees next to the road that I saw a few of last time. We were then reminded of the mud huts along the way and how could I forget every person we drove by waving at us with inexplicable smiles. These people know how to love.

At the BMC (hospital), we went straight to work in clinic. My first patient was a baby who was in a postured position completely stiff. The patient is 9 months old and for four months has been this way likely secondary to cerebral damage from cerebral malaria and subclinical seizures. We added antibiotics and continued the seizure meds, but I knew damage had already been done and it was time to pray. We had our first prayer with the first patient of the trip. What a blessing it is to be here.

I loved seeing the same people I met two years ago, who work at the BMC. Joyce runs the clinic and I could tell she was different this year than two years ago. She was surprised that I recognized the pain. She lost her husband and dad within the year. Her husband was a prince here. She is seeking God in everything and desperately trying to be filled in spite of her grief. Please pray for her joy.

I beamed today as I encountered all of the children and their radiance.

Anyway, my take home message after the spiritual rain they receive here is that we are standing on well-watered ground. Just as quickly as it rains here, the ground soaks it up. There are tremendous needs here to continually be replenished like with a nice cooling rain.

I am so thankful to be here. As we drove by the tall termite mounds (larger than humans), I thought of how my trip 2 years ago was beyond anything I could hope for or imagine. Now, I see them again and think of "great expectations." God is good and He will provide for these precious hearts.

Tomorrow we will round in the morning and then prepare for Palm Sunday. I loved seeing Cheney, the man from the TB colony who many years ago was healed and still hangs out on property constantly filled with the Holy Spirit singing "Hallelujah, Amen." I can't get enough of these spirit-filled faces.

We are so thankful to be here and covet your prayers.

In the name of Yissa Messiah,
Zsila

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Zsila! I appreciated the quick Skype IM chat after your first day there. No doubt you & Jodi were exhausted from the long flight & the 4 a.m. rise & shine for the last leg of your journey today. From your post, I can visualize that the sunrise was definitely worth the effort--a sight to behold! I'm also greatly encouraged already to reflect on the growth there and the analogy to the spiritual rain and the well-watered ground. That reminds me, too, that God will be faithful to meet your and Jodi's needs while serving Him there: "The LORD will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail." Isaiah 58:11. May God bless you all as the corporate body of Christ.
    Please give my love and condolences to Joyce and let her know she is being lifted in prayer! I'm praying for all, especially your first baby patient today and the baby's parents!
    Say hello to everyone!
    Praying for you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. That verse was brought to my attention before I left for the trip. That's awesome that you shared it.

    ReplyDelete