Thursday, April 9, 2009

Two Women with Something in Common

Yesterday, Jodi and I were seeing patients in our usual clinic room that we have set up. The first patient came in to see me and she lifted up her shirt to show me a rash that was burning and itching and wrapped around the side of her waist. I looked at it and it was in one dermatome, suggesting something we see a lot in neurology--shingles. Some of you know the pain this can cause people. If the rash wasn't painful enough, now imagine it being completely infected. Hers was an infection on top of shingles. The next thing I knew, Jodi was seeing her next patient who started motioning a rash on the side of her waist. We both looked at each other in dismay that both of our patients in the room together could possibly have the same thing. However, that was a divine appointment. Jodi's patient did have shingles, too, in the same distribution over the waist on one side, but hers was not as progressed or infected. Both patients received the correct anti-viral medicine and the best part was that they could relate to each other's pain.

This type of divine appointment happened to me two years ago in Ghana. As I would see a patient with a particular condition, Dr. Dunn would have a patient who would then minister to my patient with similar stories. It's great to see God work in many ways here.

No comments:

Post a Comment