Wednesday, April 15, 2009

His Strength is Made Perfect

There's so much to blog in these last 24 hours, but I will try to write what I can. Rachel and I took call last night and we were still checking on Timothy and the other sick child in the pediatrics ward. Both were hanging on to life here. Then, a man came in status epilepticus (constant seizures). In fact, he'd been having seizures continuously for 2 days. We were limited on earthly resources here to abort the seizures, so it was such a testimony to God that He does not give people more than they can handle. It is as if the people here have an extra hedge of supernatural protection. I know anyone in the U.S. with status epilepticus for that length of time would surely have suffered severe brain damage, if not death. This morning, I checked on the man and he was still having seizures. Pray for him.

Today has been the Refiner's fire for us. I honestly do not think I have seen as many patients as we had today, compared to the last trip or this one. We left the hospital after 8 pm and will go back again to check on patients once more tonight. We are poured out like a drink offering here and it is only God who can fill us up. He is so good and we truly experience His divine nature when He completely breaks down all aspects of boundaries to humanity here. We are seeing things here that simply defy modern medicine and physics. The bodies of the full-time missionaries who are on call day after day for the past 20 years supernaturally find the strength in Christ alone to answer the call daily. I know if He calls one, He will equip one.

There was a staggering number of patients who came to clinic today--over 500 people in need of physical treatment! Jodi and I saw 100 of them. This is unheard of for anything I have ever experienced in residency training. The needs here are limitless and this is merely one speck of Africa. I beg of you to pray for the entire continent of Africa. The needs are so great in this one area that I cannot even fathom them on an exponential scale.

It is in this state of tremendous physical need that people come with hearts that are open to then align their spiritual lives at such a venue.

Timothy, the pediatric patient, is still clinging to his life here tonight, as is the other sick baby. Today, I admitted another child who has been having constant seizures (status epilepticus) for 2 days, who is still supernaturally alive by the grace of God.

I think it is really timely that I met two children named "Happy" and "Faith" at a coke stand outside the hospital today. Jodi held Faith and she was such a joyful precious treasure. What a true treasure it is that in our earthly jars of clay bodies, we can behold such a treasure of faith in Christ.

In clinic today, the muslim man named Baba came to see me as a patient. He is the father who professed to accept Christ yesterday as well as the one who has been watching the miracle next to his son's bed, patiently waiting for his own child to be healed. As we talked today, I asked him how he felt about his spiritual decision. He said he needs to consult with his muslim family and also to wait to see God's blessing on his son before he completely proceeds with his walk with God. Please join me in prayer that Baba will have security and peace in his salvation by allowing God to reveal Himself clearly to him soon. Maybe God does will for Baba's son to be healed as a testimony to the family. Either way, may Christ be glorified and exalted. He knows His purpose.

Later on, another muslim man came in. It just so happens that I saw him on April 23, 2007 and again today, April 15, 2009. God divinely appointed the crossing of our paths again. I previously wrote about another girl named Cecilia and how God also brought her back to see me two years later--another divine crossing of paths. The man and I talked about how God may be tugging at his heart to know Christ and to be saved by God's grace, not by works. He grew up as a Christian, but wandered from his faith and became a muslim. I asked if he was truly satisfied. He's not, but his heart is not yet ripened either. We agreed to pray for him and that God will reveal Himself to him.

The work is plenty. The workers here are few, but in the end The Worker is sufficient. This is a venue for transformation.

No comments:

Post a Comment