Monday, April 13, 2009

A New Day After the Rain and Ayishetu

Last night we had an amazing surprise of rain.  I woke up in the middle of the night to the sound of loud thunder and flashes of lightning and said something out loud to everyone about how amazing rain is in Africa. :)  It is a truly sought after blessing in people's prayer lives here. The heat can be absolutely scorching here with no air conditioners.  If it rains, it helps the farmers, increases water supply, and drops the temperature from over 100 degrees every day to what seems like a perfect 70 degrees at least for a short time.  Because of it, everyone was so giddy today at the hospital.  It is truly answered prayer and to me always symbolizes renewal here.

In addition to the physical rain, the spiritual rain of mercies followed hospital rounds this morning.  I was making my way through the pediatric ward, seeing all of the babies and wonderful children with cerebral malaria, burn wounds, pneumonias, or malnutrition, then I headed into the next room to start seeing patients.  As I was seeing a little boy with a snake bite, I felt a tug on my skirt. I looked down and, to my surprise, it was Ayishetu--the miracle child who was unconscious and critically ill when she was brought in on Good Friday!  She was wearing a little dress and joyfully displayed such a big smile on her face as if to show her Easter healing and her new self.  I was in amazement.  Everything stopped for me and I just savored what God has done for this family.  I glanced at Ayishetu's mother, who just yesterday professed to be a new Christian after her child was healed, and through a translator I asked her to visit with a chaplain today to really ensure that she understands the magnitude of how her life has been changed by her accepting Christ and to offer spiritual support with a local church in her hometown.  Without delay, the nurse brought them to the pastor or chaplain.  I signed the discharge papers knowing there was no reason to keep a well child in the hospital after such a miracle has occurred!  I walked over to the chaplain's office to explain the family's powerful story to the pastor.  As I did so, he had already been chatting with the mom and said that everything I just told him was exactly what the mother had confirmed.  Yes!  She understood she was saved and was excited about it!  Praise God!  Just a rain of mercy to my soul today and the new life that is to blossom.  I'm so thankful!

No comments:

Post a Comment