Monday, April 13, 2009

Easter Night

After an amazing Easter worship service yesterday, we planned on having a potluck dinner with all of the full-time missionaries who are serving here with their families. There was a total of 17 of us. It was so encouraging just to share our experiences from our various church services. Several went to a Fulani church and some went to First Baptist, while we attended the service at Second Baptist. Everyone in unison said that the music and praise on Easter was exponential. We had an American-style meal together and, again, it was a pleasure to not forsake the gathering together of the people who are serving here as one body.

Ater that, we went to the hospital and did night rounds. I checked on my little girl who was healed and she was still doing well. They were very worried about a man in the isolation ward (usually for infections), who possibly had meningitis or tetanus according to the person who screened him. I went to visit this 45-year-old man who was surrounded by other men. They did not know much of what happened to him that day except that he became unconscious, started shaking, and could not speak. I examined him and his jaw was clenched with foam at the mouth. His body was moving and tense, but he could follow commands, which confirmed to me that it was not a generalized seizure. I was concerned that he had tetanus or rabies. While here two years ago, I saw a man with rabies who foamed at the mouth and died within seconds right in front of me. We had this man treated for meningitis already and I quickly went to the pharmacy to grab the medicine for tetanus. Just as I returned, he died. That makes me think even more so that he had rabies. Pray for his family. Last night we had another patient die as well. Meanwhile, Jodi and Dr. Dickens were helping bring life to the place by doing a c-section to usher in a healthy new baby.

All extremes on an Easter night. Still much to praise Him for in spite of the suffering. All the more reason for us to have an eternal hope, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment